NetDecision Traffic Grapher
The NetDecision Traffic Grapher monitors network and bandwidth usage as well as various other network parameters like memory usage and CPU utilization, providing system administrators with live readings and periodical usage trends to optimize the efficiency, layout, and setup of leased lines, switches, routers, firewalls, servers, and other network components.
NetDecision Traffic Grapher is an easy to use software that monitors network parameters via SNMP or using custom scriptable polling agents. It allows you to quickly and easily set up and run a monitoring station for networks. With just a few mouse clicks you can log the amount of data flowing through routers, monitor CPU and RAM utilization, check disk space usage, etc.
The most common case is monitoring the bandwidth usage of leased lines, routers, and firewalls via SNMP. You can also monitor many other aspects of your network environment and computer infrastructure.
Traffic Grapher provides out-of-the-box graphs and dashboards for CPU utilization, memory usage, disk space usage, interface utilization, service response times, interface errors etc. This helps users gain better visibility into the performance of servers, routers and switches and the overall network.
Traffic Grapher makes network performance monitoring effortless to set up and users can quickly get live, daily, weekly, monthly, annual or custom period graphs out-of-the-box.
Traffic Grapher allows users to setup monitoring of custom SNMP MIB variables. Traffic Grapher makes network performance monitoring truly vendor-independent. You only need access to the SNMP MIBs provided by your vendor. Traffic Grapher allows you to monitor critical parameters of any device and setup thresholds.
Traffic Grapher simplifies the process of setting up initial monitoring configuration by discovering network devices such as routers, switches, servers, printers etc automatically.
NetDecision Traffic Grapher is more advanced and feature-rich product than MRTG/PRTG, but at the same time effortless to install and easy to use.
- SNMP is the basic method of gathering bandwidth and network usage data. It can be used to monitor bandwidth usage of routers and switches port-by-port as well as device readings like memory, CPU load etc.
- Generic (script based). With NetDecision Script Language provides monitoring functions to aquire data from file system, XML, ftp, Eventlog, read data via TCP/UDP, WMI, etc.
- Data aggregation (Fromula based). Allows to calculate resulting values data on several monitored values according to provided expression
- Runs on Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista.
- Comes with the set of preconfigured generic script monitors.
- Provides automatic Network Discovery for easy monitor set up.
- Allows unlimited number of monitors in the system.
- Intuitive Windows user interface for data configuration and retrieval.
- Provides configuration wizards for novice users.
- Results are shown in graphs that can be customized.
- Provides dashboard panel with custom gauge indicators for more convinient reading of results.
- Distributed client-server application architecture allows multiple clients to connect to a single server that performs data monitoring.
- Complete MIB support. Any vendor MIB can be compiled and used in NetDecision Traffic Grapher to pick up OIDs for monitoring.
- OID library allows to maintain the collection of most commonly used OIDs for quick configuration.
- Customizable user interface.
Elements of architecture
Data sources of any type (network equipment, systems, applications) that
provides an interface to retrieve it"s operational stats and/or usage
A script written using NetDecision script language. A script execution is
triggered by Traffic Grapher Server accorging to configured schedule.A
script retrieves data from the equipment and stores results in RRD
database of specific Element. Executed with different parameters every
Polling script can be used to monitor different Elements of the same
Round-Robin database file. Stores monitoring data for specific Element.
With round-robin technique the database size remains constant over time.
Traffic Grapher Server
Server is the core processing engine in the distributed Traffic Grapher
architecture. Traffic Grapher
Server stores configuration data for all monitors in the internal
database file (TrafficGrapherServer.cfg) located under .config folder
of your NetDecision installation destination. Traffic Grapher
Server has no limit applied to the number of clients
allowed to connect.
Client application that connects to the Traffic Grapher
Server via TCP sockets using proprietary XML based messaging protocol.
Traffic Grapher user interface allows you to retrieve collected data
from Traffic Grapher
Server and view results in the form of graphs and gauges.